State Apprenticeship Council
The State Apprenticeship Council was established to administer the apprenticeship laws and regulations of the State of Nevada. The Council is comprised of seven members, appointed by the Labor Commissioner, representing the general public, labor and management.
Pursuant to NRS 610.020, the purpose of the Council is:
- To open to people, without regard to race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or national origin, the opportunity to obtain training that will equip them for profitable employment and citizenship.
- To establish, as a means to this end, an organized program for the voluntary training of persons under approved standards for apprenticeship, providing facilities for their training and guidance in the arts and crafts of industry and trade, with instruction in related and supplementary education.
- To promote opportunities for employment of all persons, without regard to race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or national origin, under conditions providing adequate training and reasonable earnings.
- To regulate the supply of skilled workers in relation to the demand for skilled workers.
- To establish standards for the training of apprentices in approved programs.
- To establish a state apprenticeship council with the authority to carry out the purposes of NRS 610 and provide for local joint apprenticeship committees to assist in carrying out the purposes of this chapter.
- To provide a state director of apprenticeship.
- To provide reports to the legislature and to the public regarding the status of the training of apprentices in the state.
- To establish procedures for regulating programs and deciding controversies concerning programs and agreements.
- To accomplish related ends.
Kevin Christensen, Chairman
- Chairman Christensen has been a member of the Council since 1983 as a representative of the general public. He is an attorney with the Law Offices of Kevin B. Christensen, Chartered and specializes in ERISA laws and regulations.
Dan Gouker, Employee Representative
- Mr. Gouker was appointed to the Council in 1999. He is a Journeyman Electrician and a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. He is is a past Chairman of the Clark County School-to-Careers Board. Mr. Gouker is currently the Executive Director for the Division of Apprenticeship Studies with the College of Southern Nevada.
Randy Canale, Employee Representative
- Mr. Canale was appointed the Council Council In July 2012. He is a building trade’s journeyman pipefitter who currently serves as the Training Coordinator for the Northern Nevada Plumbers, Pipefitters, Pipe Welders, and HVAC Service Technicians Local 350 JATC. He serves as President of the Northern Nevada Chapter of the Western Apprenticeship Coordinators Association. Mr. Canale also sits on the Nevada Board of Plumbing Examiners.
Nanette Quitt, Employer Representative
Quitt was appointed to the Council in 2012. She has
more than 10 years of Human Resources experience in
the private and public sectors, utility, technology
and healthcare industries. In her positions, she has
overseen a variety of key Human Resources functions
including a local Joint Apprenticeship Training
Committee (JATC). Ms. Quitt is currently the
Northern Nevada Labor Relations Manager for NV
Energy. In addition to volunteering in the
community, Ms. Quitt serves on the Nevada
State SHRM Council Board of Directors and the State
of Nevada Career & Technical Education Advisory
Thomas G. Pfundstein, Employer Representative
- Mr. Pfundstein was appointed to the Council in
July 2012. He is currently the Senior
Executive Director of the Southern Nevada Painting
Contractors of America.